The museum is housed in a former synagogue, built in 1910. The synagogue of the "Holy Union", the former Taylors’ Synagogue, functioned as a place of worship until 1968, and on the 15th of January 1978 turned into a museum. The museum was established upon the initiative of the chief rabbi Dr. Moses Rosen, by a team of Jewish historians. It presents the history of the Jews on Romanian territory, from the 2nd century until today. It comprises religious artefacts, paintings by Jewish painters, scale models synagogues from around the country, collections representative for the history of the Jews on the Romanian territory, objects illustrating the creation and culture of the Romanian Jews or the history of the Yiddish theatre.