Historical monuments nearby

Print
  • id
  • "Chief-Rabbi Dr. Moses Rosen" History Museum of the Jews in Romania - BUCHAREST
  • BUCUREȘTI, 3 Mămulari Street
  • 1910
  • B-II-m-A-19173
  • “Unirea Sfântă” Temple has got its name from an ancient place of prayer of the Tailors’ Guild in 1863. In 1850, the
    Tailors’ Guild inaugurates the new synagogue. The current plan of the building suggests around 1906-1910 when the building was reconstructed. The plan of the building was elaborated by architect Iulius Grunfeld. The founding document was drafted in 1910 when the cornerstone was laid. The building has been damaged in 1941 then restored in 1978 and then has housed the Museum of Hebrew History. The overall composition is a mixture of Moorish, Romanesque, Byzantine styles, influenced by Byzantine architecture in Wallachia. On the outside the imitation of brick layered stone is alternated by stone, with simili stone frames around the windows.
    There is a lower level of monumentality. The small columns, limited by floors and continue railings of the two story level the interior volume. The interior decoration fits correctly into the shapes of the building that is shapes harmoniously. Except for the courtyard, of a relatively small size, everything is proper to a great synagogue.
    The Calvinist Church was built between 1822-1834 on the site of another smaller church, severely damaged, that was erected in the XVII century (1632-1644) by Cristuru Secuiesc Reformed community. In 1866, upon the foundations of the old church tower, another tower is built. The church, with stone masonry and brick is shaped like a large rectangular vessel, with a polygonal apse, and a bellfry on a square plan added to the Western wall. It has a low triangular tympanum exonarthex in the center of the North facade. The authors of the Church are Carol Malitzek and Endre Karacsoni, a Brasov engineer, helped by master builder Ioan Szecsenyi from Cristuru. The organ was built in 1869 by Istvan Kolonits from Targu Secuiesc. In the XX century, a series of interventions on the church and bell tower are made, according to information found in various inscriptions on the church steeple. The last interventions are made in 1995.
    The present church was built between 1801- 1803 on the site of one of the XVII century Unitarian and Protestant communities. The land on which the church was built was donated by the wife of Samuel Count Bethlen, Nemes Clara. The Church located in the village center on the East – West direction is surrounded towards the East and South by a small brick fence. The fence is provided with an arched gate on each side. It holds stone foundations, mixed stone and brick masonry, wood ceiling and beams, a tile covering. The nave is rectangular, with an unhooked apse to the East and a Southern acces protected by the exonarthex. It has a planimetric specificity: the East side of the apse is continued by the bell tower that faces the village entrance, towards Cristur. On both ends there are two balconies each with an organ, and two tables of God in the center, for both confessions. On the North wall in the center there is a pulpit. The facades lack ornaments, with arched windows and flat plaster like pilasters. On top of the tower there is a cock vane. The steeple has a cylindrical vault on the ground and three more levels high, where the last one is the bell chamber. The latter is opened through four arches to the center. On the Southern facade there is a sundial and four clock quadrants are drawn under the roof that foloow the perimeter of the corniche.


    .
  • Aristide Streja, Lucian Schwartz, Sinagogi din România, p. 58-60.