Historical monuments nearby

Print
  • id
  • Szekler Museum of Ciuc Region - MIERCUREA-CIUC
  • MIERCUREA CIUC, 72 Márton Áron Street
  • 1909-1911
  • HR-II-a-B-12731
  • Márton Áron highschool in Miercurea Ciuc has been erected between 1909-1911 by Wusinczky brothers in Brasov and József Preisner entrepreneur. The right wing (South side) designed for the seminar, has been finalized in 1913. In the left hand wing (the Northern one), were placed: the boarding, classrooms, the music room, the lounge, cloak room, bathroom, dining, nursery and teacher supervision housing rooms. During the first World War the building has been partly turned into military hospital; between 1943 and 1944 it also suffered during the second World War, as it was again turned into hospital and offices. After the educational reform in 1948, the school became a state institution and the building has undergone some alterations. The chapel was transformed into festivities room and some of the stained glass windows were removed. In 1990 the school has been renamed after its former disciple, Bishop Áron Márton. Since 1991 Roman Catholic Theological Highschool „Segítő Mária". The building consists of three wings: the middle one is the biggest and encloses the actual highschool, with slightly withdrawn wings. The main wing (in the middle) has an attic type roof enclosed between two towers, holding highlited extremities by triangle shaped gables that close the risalite. The latteral wings resemble the main one with an important tower, joint to the corner risalite. The main entrance of the building is centered upon the risalite of the main wing; secondary entrances are found on the axes of latteral wings,
    highlited by triangular gables. The main entrance portal is ornated by a combination of Neoroman, Neobaroque and Secession motifs. Three pairs of massive columns, carved in stone, set the Romanic character of the main entrance. The column heads are decorated with geometrical elements and stylized leaves, followed by volutes and grapes. The main facade intertwins Neoroman, Neogotical, Neobaroque and Secession ornamental elements. Large windows that are semicircular on top and decorated with thumbwheels are specific to the main facade. The columns of the main entrance appear both on the main entrance and on the last level of the towers, as a determination of the twin windows. The column heads are decorated with stylized plants and a few human mask insertions. The lateral risalites are decorated in various styled elements and various combinations; most frequently Secession decorations are used. Facades between the risalites are decorated around the frames of the windows. The recurrent motifs are: the wavy line, triangles, thumbwheels, denticles and baroque plant elements. Inside the building, the wide hall is covered by a vault that encompases the shapes of cylindrical vaults with openings to the cross shaped ones, decorated by wavy ornaments and denticles. Pilasters holding the vault have column heads featuring vegetal ornaments. Through the main hall, corridors open on both sides; in front there is a staircase that leads to the other levels of the building.
  • Antal Imre, Monografia liceului din Miercurea-Ciuc. A csíkszeredai líceum monográfiája, Csíkszereda, 1968.