Historical monuments nearby

Print
  • id
  • "Chief-Rabbi Dr. Moses Rosen" History Museum of the Jews in Romania - BUCHAREST
  • BUCUREȘTI, 9-11 Sfânta Vineri Street
  • 1864-1867, 1892
  • B-II-m-A-19672
  • Not long after construction for the cathedral was started foundations were laid for the construction of a bishop's palace - 1762 – which was broadly completed in the late eighteenth century. It wouldn’t be completely finished until the second half of the nineteenth century. It is one of the most beautiful Baroque buildings in the country.
    The building is U-shaped with the center marked by a line extending from the building. Also present at the ends of the main façade, as well as on either side of the main building, are two crenatures.
    The building flares slightly at the edges of the central part, these flares marking the wings of the main facade on the inside of the U-shape, with a corridor running through the whole building at both levels. In the center is the main entrance to the building with access platforms into both sides of the building.
    The facade is divided into two styles. The first style is more rustic towards the center. The other style, comprising the 1st and 2nd floor, is decorated with pilasters (reminiscent of the major trend from the late Italian Renaissance, Palladio). Quite abundant decoration of column tops and window pediments give the building a strong baroque aspect with curved lines, especially noted in the portal decoration.
    The construction method consists of massive walls of burnt brick. Vaulted ceilings with double curvature or domes close the upper spaces between walls. The holes in the walls have an arch or "basket handle” finishing on the upper part. The facade mimics rows of decorative siding and braking columns out of plaster. The flaring roof has two slopes like mansard roofs. The stairs are made of stone. The framework is made of wood; the cover is made of tile. Mosaic can be found on the corridors. The great hall is painted by Italian painter Francis Storno.
    The building was built by Baron and Bishop Adam Patachich. It was built by Italian architect Ricca and Italian painter Storno Francis painted the great hall of the building.
  • Lucian Schwartz, Arisitide Streja, Sinagogi din România